- 1 🚲Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 & Buying Guide
- 1.1 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Best To Buy
- 1.2 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Comparison Chart in 2020
- 1.3 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars Reviews
- 1.3.1 1. Gravity FSX 1.0
- 1.3.2 2. Mongoose Ledge Moutain Bike
- 1.3.3 3. Max4out Mountain Bike
- 1.3.4 4. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike
- 1.3.5 5. Diamondback Overdrive Sport
- 1.3.6 6. Roadster Granite Peak
- 1.3.7 7. Diamondback Overdrive
- 1.4 Must Read Points Before Purchasing a Mountain Bike
🚲Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 & Buying Guide
(Popular Search Terms: best mountain bikes under $500, best mountain bikes under 500 dollars, best mountain bike under 500)
Seeking for how to get the best mountain bikes under 500? Check out our analysis before making your final choice!
The cycles are again becoming the new cool of this era even in these technology-filled cars for super-speed lovers. Cycling has made a man think its importance as it is both environment-friendly and promises good and fit health. For the adventure lovers, we are familiar with a name, mountain bikes which are capable of different terrain and are possessed with the super new feature.
Mountain bikes as the name speaks for itself are an off-road vehicle for adventure-friendly people. These bikes we can say are not cheap equal to the normal ones because of its built and other features absent in the normal bikes.
There is a myth amongst the people for these bikes that it will be expensive and not easy to afford. But the market is loaded with the bikes priced from affordable ones to the expensive ones. The first and foremost thing is that the bike should fulfill the requirements and the price. And there is popular among the people about the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars. Some bikes are only made for specific terrain and before buying the user should keep in mind his requirements of the terrain he wants to ride the bike in. Other feature also plays a significant role in the selection of the mountain bike. The features are listed below.
Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Best To Buy
- Best Overall: Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike
- Best for Kids: Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mens Mountain Bike
- Best for Beginners: Diamondback Overdrive 29
- Best for The Money: Finiss Merax Mountain Bike
- Best for Big Guys: Mongoose Malus Fat Bike
- Best for Downhill Riding: Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike
- Best for Trails: Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mens Mountain Bike
- Best for Dirt Jumping: Schwinn Bonafide Mens Mountain Bike
- Best for Men: Schwinn S29 Mens Mountain Bike
- Best for The Road: Schwinn Traxion Mountain Bike
- Best for Women: Royce Union RMT Womens 21-Speed All-Terrain Mountain Bike
- Best for Rough Terrain: Merax FT323 Mountain Bike
- Best for Gravel Roads: Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike
- Best Electric: Diamondback Overdrive 29
Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Comparison Chart in 2020
|Best Mountain Bikes||Best for||Ratings|
|Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike||Best Overall||4.8/5|
|Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mens Mountain Bike||Best for Kids||4.4/5|
|Diamondback Overdrive 29||Best for Beginners||4.8/5|
|Finiss Merax Mountain Bike||Best for The Money||4.2/5|
|Mongoose Malus Fat Bike||Best for Big Guys||4.9/5|
|Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike||Best for Downhill Riding||4.0/5|
|Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mens Mountain Bike||Best for Trails||4.3/5|
|Schwinn Bonafide Mens Mountain Bike||Best for Dirt Jumping||4.6/5|
|Schwinn S29 Mens Mountain Bike||Best for Men||4.5/5|
|Schwinn Traxion Mountain Bike||Best for The Road||4.7/5|
|Royce Union RMT Womens 21-Speed All-Terrain Bike||Best for Women||4.6/5|
|Merax FT323 Mountain Bike||Best for Rough Terrain||4.0/5|
|Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike||Best for Gravel Roads||4.2/5|
|Diamondback Overdrive 29||Best Electric||4.3/5|
Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars Reviews
- Disc Brakes Front and Rear, Strong and Durable Aluminum Frames
Gravity FSX 1.0 is another mountain bike that you can buy under 500 bucks. The bike looks sporty and sturdy by its design. The suspension within the frame will give you the smoothest ride. Coupled with dual disc brakes and Shimano’s gear shifter, this is worth checking out.
Here are Gravity FSX 1.0 worth mentioning features:
- Frame – This mountain bike is made up of Hydroformed Aluminum that makes it light-weight and durable. Also, it makes it easy to carry for off-road rides.
- Gears – The Gravity FSX 1.0 is equipped with SHIMANO M190 Rear and Front Derailleur Gearing system which is really smooth and shifting gears do not call for the extra efforts.
- Braking System – Gravity FSX 1.0 has Tektro Novela Front and Rear Disc Brakes.
- Wheels – Here we have the Black 26 x 2.1 tires that are going to provide the smoothest ride no matter where you are riding it. The dual suspension made the ride even better even if you are riding in the rough terrain.
- Color – For Gravity FSX 1.0, we have 2 color options and that is Black and Yellow. The Yellow frame and the black wheels made this thing looks even better.
- The Aluminum Frame made it lightweight and easy to carry.
- Adjustable Front and Rear Suspension.
- Dual Disc Brakes at Front & Rear.
- Smooth gear shifting even during the off-road rides.
- There are not many color choices available.
- The stock wheels are not enough for off-road biking.
- Steel full suspension frame and fork smoothes the bumps of a rough ride
Buying an entry-level bike is the toughest option and what to look always remains questionable. Mongoose ledge 2.1 seems to answer that very aptly. A perfect combo of price, comfort, and durability.
A bike to ride on tough as well as plain terrain without decreasing its performance a bit. Sturdiness is what defines the Mongoose ledge 2.1.
A look at its features-
- Frame– it has a 4-bar linked suspension frame made from aluminum alloy for a lightweight ride. Its alloy rims are sturdy and rustproof and the handlebars are made from steel which can withstand a few bangs.
- Gears– The 21-speed gear system allows a versatile speed option for the riders. Though the gears are less they don’t pose a challenge in any terrain while riding i.e. steep or plain. Comes with SRAM twist shifters, one of the best in this class.
- Braking system– It has linear-pull brakes that let the user gain full control over the bike. Emergency braking is not a problem in the bike and tire treads are soo designed that it supports its braking system.
- Wheel size– wheels are 26’’ fabricated alloy rims ensure great ride and lightweight. Fabricated alloys mean they are rustproof so it can be a great ride in the rains also.
Overall at the price, it is available we can say that not the best but can be a great option for the beginners.
- Versatility at this affordable price is its biggest pro.
- Assembling is easy and needs no supervision or perfection.
- It has 3 color options i.e. gray, red, and blue.
- Like many other options that do not include a kickstand, it comes with one
- The aluminum alloy frame is stylish and durable.
- The seats are comfortable but the material is not long-lasting and will weather out fast.
- The frame is not that big so it can be a problem for people over 6’.
- No place on the frame for a water bottle.
- The limited 21 gear Optio kickstand, a great choice for speed lover, and the ones who are a pro at mountain bikes.
- 【GOOD QUALITY】Solid High Carbon Steel Frame, mountain bike frame and excellent welding technology, make it a durable and stable cruising bike.
This pretty much looks like a bad boy of Mountain Bikes. This bike definitely going to catch a lot of eye balls. The frame is unique and wheels of Max4out made this bike stand out from the crowd.
A brief description of its features-
- Frame– Constructed with Solid High Carbon Steel Frame. It promises a long-lasting service despite riding over rough tracks for years. The carbon steel frame and excellent welding technology makes it a long-lasting and stable cruising bike.
- Gears– 21 gear speed system helps in speeding without putting much effort and force. The front derailleur is Shimano and the Rear derailleur is Shimano Altus 7speed.
- Braking system– This mountain bike is equipped with a black aluminum disc brake that allows easy riding in muddy or rain terrain. These brake levers are integrated Shimano designed.
- Wheels– The wheels of Max4out is eyeball magnet as it comes with a 26-inch wheel with 4.3-inch of width. These components provide excellent strength and resistance which in turn guarantees stability especially on a steep incline or rough terrain. The wheels are also compatible with roads, trail, beaches, and snow.
- Size and color options– There is a huge variety of color options on the menu to choose from and different sizes never possessed a problem for short and tall people.
A lot of mountain bikes are available in the market at different price segments. Some of the best mountain bikes under 500 are available to match a beginner’s expectations.
- Solid Carbon Steel frame for long-lasting rides.
- Assembling is easy and can be done by a novice.
- It is customizable and height can be adjusted from an option of color to choose from.
- Replacement or changing of parts can be a little bit expensive.
- Pedals are plastic made and not good for large feet.
- Schwinn aluminum full suspension frame with front suspension fork for reliable, responsive riding
Schwinn, a leader in the manufacturing of mountain bikes known for its best quality that too without creating a hole in the pocket.
Schwinn Protocol, an entry-level mountain bike suitable for beginners and mid-level riders as well. Built with dual suspension aluminum frame and steel frame at back is what makes it stand out at this price.
The lightweight of aluminum and toughness of steel makes it a power-packed bike. A brief introduction to its features are as follows:-
- Frame– A dual-suspension frame with aluminum at front and steel at the rear gives you the dual benefits. Making it damage resistant and lightweight both.
- Wheel size– this one comes with 26’’ wheels which can be defined as a standard for all. It is easy for all to adjust at this size and also it can be made or used as a daily riding option. Rims are double-walled light-weighted alloys suited to ride in every terrain.
- Brakes– equipped with front mechanical disc brakes and rear brakes are a linear-pull. This makes it easy to go brakes in any terrain or weather condition.
- Fork– This bike comes with SR Suntour front suspension brakes which specialize in absorbing in any type of shock. Off-roading and rough terrain become a super relaxing ride with these forks.
- Gears– Fitted with Shimano Altus 24-speed gear system with Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters. These shifters allow a smooth transition between the gears. The rear is fitted with Shimano Altus providing it extra power while riding. These were the features now let’s have a look at what should be the decision making pros and cons while buying this MTB under 500 dollars.
- Easy to assemble the bike. Almost assembled just the front wheel is to be fitted and that can be done by anyone.
- It’s durable and sturdy red color design makes it look like an expensive option not at the price it is available.
- 24 gear speed system makes it good to go option for beginners
- Brakes are super fine in extreme or immediate conditions.
- A saddle or seat is not suitable for long comfortable rides.
- 26’’ wheel size makes it difficult to overcome the obstacles.
- Whereas the 24 gear speed system is good to go for the novice but not suitable for riders who need high speed and adventure.
- No option or place to keep a water bottle.
- Front brakes don’t perform that way which was expected by all from this bike.
Diamondback is not a new name in the field of mountain bikes and all their models are worth a ride. We will discuss the model which defines affordability and design both.
Diamondback overdrive sports 29er is a premier hardtail mountain bike suitable for all trail whether steep or any other. Here are it’s amazing features-:
- Frame– Built with butted 6061-T6 Aluminum alloy Overdrive 29r frame. Making it lighter than the steel frame makes it speed fast and easy to handle. This frame makes it easy to drive and handle for beginners.
- Fork– equipped with 100mm Suntour XCR-LO travel fork. Not the best one in the line but perfect for early riders.
- Wheel size– This bike has a monster 29-inch tire size which makes any obstacle look small and any terrain easy to cross. The speed and maneuverability are now easy to handle than before.
- Gears– Shimano rear derailleurs 8 speed with 24 gear options filed with Shimano SLR-310 shifters enable to switch gears according to personal use according to the terrain demand. It is also equipped with Diamond SL-7 double-wall rims which are a perfect combination with 29-inch tire size.
- Brakes– this mountain bike comes with Shimano BR-M935 hydraulic brakes which perform extremely well in rainy and muddy conditions, the time when most brakes fail to perform. These are effective and durable brakes making the bike stop in any terrain between the ride.
- Assembling of the bike is super easy, comes in a convenient box mostly assembled just one or two parts to be installed
- Perfect for beginners as no complicated features come with it and easy handling.
- Different size options are a plus because different heights can choose its option from these sizes.
- Big size of wheels can overcome any obstacle
- The saddle or the seat is a bit uncomfortable for the long ride purpose.
- The rear derailleur needs to be adjusted just before starting the ride.
- Limited or just one color options
- Steel mountain frame geometry for easy riding
The roadster granite peak is a 26-inch ride which not only specialized in mountain terrain but is perfect for urban areas means can be used as a daily ride too. It’s high front suspension forks make it a comfortable ride for rough and rugged roads.
Gear shifting in this model is a stand out feature from other bikes.
A detailed review of its other features-
- Frame– the material used in making the frame is steel. The steel frame is known to be sturdy and making the bike durable. Although the steel is a little bit on the heavier side from aluminum but riding this bike does not make the rider feel so.
- Gears– a bit on the lesser side this bike is featured with 18 gear speed system with Shimano shifters. The shifters are real smooth and give a comfortable ride during an off-road ride also.
- Braking system– it has a linear-pull braking system which is crafted amazingly for the immediate braking system and tire treads are perfectly designed to accompany these bikes.
- Wheel size– the 26-inch wheels are a standard for most bikes. Rims are alloy made and are durable and strong. The alloy rims give a strong and durable feel and lightweight provides great maneuverability. The handlebars are made of steel. The seat is padded and made for rough terrain.
- Fork– The front fork suspension enables a comfortable ride in rough terrain. It is capable of absorbing the shock one can experience during the ride.
- Its affordability nowhere compromises with its high quality and style by which the bike is being made.
- Has got a great front suspension offering a great and comfortable ride
- Dual usability i.e. suitable for off-road as well as paved roads.
- Assembling is an easy task with this bike.
- The seat is well padded but not very comfortable with long rides.
- 18 gears are low for riders who like to ride at high speeds.
- The steel frames are easy with scratches.
- Brakes are not that great and needed to be adjusted regularly.
- Hand built 6061-T6 aluminum alloy hardtail frame is Classic mountain biking
Best for off-road, climbing steep hills, and getting down from them the answer is Diamondback Overdrive. This mountain bike is equipped with an alloy aluminum frame, dual wall rims, front suspension, and front disc brake and rear V brake.
Below are its some of the amazing features-
- Frame– It has a full suspension aluminum 6061-T6 frame which is better than other bikes in quality. It is built with an alloy four-bar suspension frame. This suspension frame promises you comfort and great durability. And its lightweight makes a great experience of riding for the driver.
- Braking system– The Diamondback Overdrive is equipped with Tektro Aries mechanical disc brake with 160mm rotors. High-class aluminum is used in brake levers with integrated components being used for front disc brake. This enhances the maximum control of the user on the bike.
- Gear and speed– it is equipped with a 21-gear speed system designed by the same which designed it brakes i.e. Shimano. The not so fast speed system provides you with a relaxing ride throughout. The front and rear derailleur allow easy riding and smooth gear shifting.
- Wheels– as a standard for most this model is also fitted with 27.5-inch tires. The wide and long-lasting quality proves to be unrivaled traction in the off-roads where the tires play a great role in balancing.
- Fork– For the smoothest rides, Diamondbike Overdrive comes with SR Suntour XCT 27 Coil Spring fork with 80mm travel makes off-road rides just like driving on paved roads.
- The safety factor is given the utmost importance.
- People with different heights are comfortable riding this bike.
- It has a sturdy and durable alloy frame and suspension.
- Affordable with these great features for the entry-level riders.
- Tire size sometimes makes it difficult to overcome an obstacle.
- The seats are a little hard.
- Assembly is not that easy and smooth.
Must Read Points Before Purchasing a Mountain Bike
Budget– As here we are discussing the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars, so the budget itself plays an important part in selecting the bike. The buyer should not think that in a specific range budget the quality will be compromised. It’s just that one has to look carefully and explore all the options in the market available and choose the best one. Some famous brands do put up a sale and buyers should look out for that sales and grab the deal.
Terrain– These bikes offer you specific terrain options to ride on whether it is off-road or paved roads, bikes wheels, and frames are designed according to the terrain they are made to ride on. These are the different bikes –
- Trail bikes– specifically designed for local trails. And if a local trail is your need of the hour then just go for trail bikes.
- Cross-country bikes– known by the name of XC bikes, these are the most common and loved by the riders of this field. Select them if you need to have a race on the local trails or crossing the steep or rough local trails.
- Fat bikes– as the name speaks these are the bikes with fat or wide tires. Perfect for beginners as it will be helpful on rough terrain due to its wide tires and for beginners, safety has always been an issue.
- Enduro bikes– these are all-mountain purpose bikes. Its lightweight makes it stand out from the other bikes as it easy to pedal uphill and easier to cross steep climbs.
- Downhill bikes– These bikes mostly serve the purpose of competition and racing as with these easy to pedal over any obstacle. They require full safety during the rides i.e. full pads and full-face helmets. They are not meant for beginners in any way.
Brakes– when speed plays its role side by side it is very important that the brakes should work best with the speed. One should always look for hydraulic brakes, not for the mechanical linear-pull or the cable ones. Hydraulic brakes provide a powerful and precise result in a timeless than the cable ones and are easy to maintain also.
Types of bike suspension– covered by three types – full suspension, hardtail, and rigid.
- Full suspensions are the ones with front and rear suspension both offering the extra comfort during the adventurous ride.
- Hardtail bikes have only the front suspension resulting in lightweight riders and rider can easily peddle uphill rather than in full-suspension bikes. But it reduces the comfort one is getting on full suspension bikes.
- A rigid suspension is with no suspension on either side, front, or back. They are rarely found and are specifically designed for a particular purpose.
Gears– with an option to choose from single to 30 gears from different manufacturers. Shimano is the world leader in designing the gears and brake levers. If speed and climbing the steep slopes are the main motive opting for more gears is always the best. The more gears more easily the user will be able to ride on the steep surface with better speed.
Size– various sizes are available in the market for the various heights. People can choose from many options according to their comfort, height, and body sizes. A test ride before a buy is the best option to choose the right bike for yourself.
You may also look for more details about hitch bike racks for your own purpose.
- Top Rated Road Bikes Under 500 Dollars
- Top Entry Level Road Bikes for Beginners
- Top-Rated Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars
Last update on 2021-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API