- 1 Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 Reviews
- 1.1 1. Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike
- 1.2 2. 26in Folding Mountain Bike
- 1.3 3. Mongoose Impasse Mountain Bike
- 1.4 4. Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike, 7 Speed
- 1.5 5. Schwinn Mesa 3 Adult Mountain Bike
- 1.6 6. Huffy Summit Ridge Mountain Bike
- 1.7 7. Royce Union 27.5″ RMA Mens 21-Speed All-Terrain Mountain Bike
- 1.8 8. Mongoose Malus Fat Tire Bike with 26-Inch Wheels
- 1.9 9. Schwinn Bonafide Mountain Bike with Front Suspension
- 1.10 10. Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike
- 1.11 11. Kent Mountain Bike
- 1.12 12. Diamondback Cobra Mountain Bike
- 1.13 13. Max4out Mountain Bike Folding Bike
- 1.14 14. Hiland 24 26 Inch Mountain Bike
- 1.15 15. Outroad Mountain Bike 6 Spoke 21 Speed 26
- 2 Conclusion
Are you looking for The Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 in 2020? If yes, you have come to the right place which you can discover the full reviews, tips, and guides.
There is a myth amongst the people for these bikes that it will be expensive and not easy to afford. But the market is loaded with the bikes priced from affordable ones to the expensive ones.
The first and foremost thing is that the bike should fulfill the requirements and the price. And there is popular among the people about The Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 dollars.
Some bikes are only made for specific terrain and before buying the user should keep in mind his requirements of the terrain he wants to ride the bike in. Other feature also plays a significant role in the selection of the best mountain bike.
Must Read Points Before Purchasing a Mountain Bike
- Budget– As here we are discussing the Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars, so the budget itself plays an important part in selecting the bike. The buyer should not think that in a specific range budget the quality will be compromised. It’s just that one has to look carefully and explore all the options in the market available and choose the best one. Some famous brands do put up a sale and buyers should look out for that sales and grab the deal.
- Terrain– These bikes offer you specific terrain options to ride on whether it is off-road or paved roads, bikes wheels, and frames are designed according to the terrain they are made to ride on. These are the different bikes
- Trail bikes– specifically designed for local trails. And if a local trail is your need of the hour then just go for trail bikes.
- Cross-country bikes– known by the name of XC bikes, these are the most common and loved by the riders of this field. Select them if you need to have a race on the local trails or crossing the steep or rough local trails.
- Fat bikes– as the name speaks these are the bikes with fat or wide tires. Perfect for beginners as it will be helpful on rough terrain due to its wide tires and for beginners, safety has always been an issue.
- Enduro bikes– these are all-mountain purpose bikes. Its lightweight makes it stand out from the other bikes as it easy to pedal uphill and easier to cross steep climbs.
- Downhill bikes– These bikes mostly serve the purpose of competition and racing as with these easy to pedal over any obstacle. They require full safety during the rides i.e. full pads and full-face helmets. They are not meant for beginners in any way.
- Brakes– when speed plays its role side by side it is very important that the brakes should work best with the speed. One should always look for hydraulic brakes, not for the mechanical linear-pull or the cable ones. Hydraulic brakes provide a powerful and precise result in a timeless than the cable ones and are easy to maintain also.
- Types of bike suspension– covered by three types – full suspension, hardtail, and rigid.
- Full suspensions are the ones with front and rear suspension both offering the extra comfort during the adventurous ride.
- Hardtail bikes have only the front suspension resulting in lightweight riders and rider can easily peddle uphill rather than in full-suspension bikes. But it reduces the comfort one is getting on full suspension bikes.
- A rigid suspension is with no suspension on either side, front, or back. They are rarely found and are specifically designed for a particular purpose.
- Gears– with an option to choose from single to 30 gears from different manufacturers. Shimano is the world leader in designing the gears and brake levers. If speed and climbing the steep slopes are the main motive opting for more gears is always the best. The more gears more easily the user will be able to ride on the steep surface with better speed.
- Size– various sizes are available in the market for the various heights. People can choose from many options according to their comfort, height, and body sizes. A test ride before a buy is the best option to choose the right bike for yourself.
Listed below are best mountain bikes that satisfy both affordability and quality related to best women’s mountain bike under 500 & best men’s mountain bike under 500 – best mountain bikes for men and women!
Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 Reviews
- Assembly tutorial video located beside the images; with a Denim Blue hardtail frame and 21 speeds to conquer the trails, the Huffy Stone Mountain is ready for outdoor adventures; just follow the steps in our product manual
The Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike is among the best and most affordably priced products you can find on the market. This bike is perfect for mountain biking fanatics who are on a bit of a budget as it is at a reasonable price.
Thanks to its 21 speeding options that can be easily switched between thanks to a Shimano rear derailleur and a micro-shift twister, you can ride the bike smoothly on any terrains. You can also enjoy great comfort while maintaining a healthy posture with its elevated handlebar.
Besides, the bike also comes in a wide range of colors for you to choose from. All in all, judging from its price and quality features, this bike is a highly attractive option for new, inexperienced mountain cyclists.
- Good value for money
- Affordably priced
- Available with 21 speeds
- Various color options
- Relatively basic
- Product size: 26 inches ; Product folding size: 94x88x38cm/37x34x15in ; Product packaging size: 134x72x19cm/52x28x7.5in ; Gross weight: 20kg ; Products include: 1x bicycle.
This folding bike is another great choice for mountain biking lovers. With its fashionable, foldable design, it is suitable for bikers of both genders.
Like many of our top picks, this bike also features Shimano derailleur and shifter for you to smoothly switch between its 21 speeds. The 3-spoke magnesium wheels make this bike both durable and lightweight, and the overall level of safety is also boosted thanks to its Tolan disc brakes and MTB brake lever.
Another great point about this bike is its high carbon steel frame which contributes greatly to its durability. All in all, this is a great choice that you should not overlook.
- Durable high carbon steel frame
- Lightweight and foldable structure
- Fashionable design
- No real cons
- Aluminum suspension frame maximizes comfort & performance
The Mongoose Impasse is another great bike that you should consider before making any purchase decision as it comes with a whole range of amazing features that any mountain biker wishes for.
To begin with, it comes with 29-inch tires and a highly durable aluminum frame, giving you full control of the vehicle regardless of the terrain you are riding on. In addition, you can easily switch between the 21 speeding options thanks to the SRAM twist shifters of the bike, making it more effortless for you to ride either uphill or downhill.
Besides, the vehicle can be halted at any given time thanks to the front and rear disc brakes. Although there is not much space for a water bottle holder, this bike remains a real steal judging from the many great features that you can get for such an affordable price.
- Reliable front and rear disc brakes
- Quick and smooth gear shifting thanks to the built-in SRAM twist shifters
- Slightly uncomfy seat
- Inadequate space for a water bottle holder
- From pavement to trails, get out and ride with the High Timber; Schwinn steel mountain-style frame and Schwinn suspension fork combine for a durable and responsive riding experience on a variety of terrain
Mountain biking beginners will find this mountain bike from Schwinn an ideal option due to its reasonable price and quality.
One of the best things about this bike is its steel suspension fork and frame, which are highly reliable even on the roughest terrains out there. Its reliability is further heightened by the large, knobby all-terrain tires that are 29 inches wide, making the bike even tougher and easier to control.
In addition, the bike comes with 21 gears, making it easy for you to ride on both rough trails and smooth city roads. Its triple chainring can also boost your confidence, especially when dealing with steep slopes. Although the bike does not feature any disc brakes, its durable steel frame and other amazing features surely compensate for this.
- Easier uphill rides thanks to its triple chainring
- Durable solid steel frame
- All-terrain knobby tires for extra grip
- Tricky assembly
- Slightly uncomfortable seat
- A bit heavy frame
- The Schwinn Mesa 3 is for riders who want to take mountain biking to the next level. 27. 5” wheels and small frame fit riders 5’2” to 5’6” in height.
This is a perfect choice for shorter bikers as it features a smaller frame. However, this bike remains highly competitive with its 21-speed drivetrain and 27.5-inch robust wheels, making it even more reliable for unseasoned bikers.
Another plus point is the bike’s aluminum frame and suspension fork that can be used freely on even the roughest off-road trails. In addition, it can be stopped at any given time thanks to its linear-pull brakes, which are also made of aluminum.
Although it does not come with any disc brakes, this bike is still an amazing product that you should take into consideration.
- Highly stable thanks to its aluminum suspension fork
- Available with 21-speed Shimano Tourney drivetrain
- Easy to change gears with its Shimano EZ-FIRE shifters
- Only suitable for shorter bikers
- No disc brakes
- Unsuitable for heavier trail use
- With a gloss red hardtail frame and 21 speeds to conquer the trails, the Huffy Stone Mountain is ready for outdoor adventures
This affordably priced mountain bike is suitable for teenagers who are aged 13 onwards and at least 60 inches tall. It comes in many different wheel sizes, ranging from 20 to 26, so you can easily choose one that suits your preference.
The number of speed options also varies from 6 to 21, and the 21-speed option is the most popular since this can allow riders to deal with any road terrains. You will also find the gear-shifting hand twist extra useful as this can be used to switch between gears effortlessly during your ride.
The bike also comes in many colors and styles, so bikers of both genders can choose one that suits their personal taste. In addition, the slightly raised handlebars also help reduce shoulder and back pressure, and the overall comfortability level is improved thanks to its padded seat.
- Available in many sizes and gearing options
- Suitable for unseasoned riders
- Various colors and styles to choose from
- Slightly heavy
- Fairly vague instruction manual
- RMA is the perfect trail companion; an all-terrain mountain bike ideal for trails, gravel paths and even paved streets; hardtail aluminum frame never rusts and is lighter than steel for easier acceleration and easier handling
This is another highly versatile mountain bike that can also be used on normal roads and can be a suitable option for riders of any virtue thanks to the wide range of sizes it comes in, from 17 to 22 inches.
One other plus point about this bike is the extra traction it offers, which is facilitated by its 27.5-inch wheels and tires with less rolling resistance. The A-Zoom suspension fork is also included in the bike, giving you a smooth riding experience by absorbing any impact and bumps.
It is also easier for you to ride uphill or simply to accelerate thanks to the bike’s built-in 21-speed Shimano rear derailleur, and you can effortlessly stop the bike with its alloy linear pull brakes. All in all, this bike is a great value for money that you must not overlook when deciding on your next mountain bike purchase.
- Comes with 10-year frame warranty
- Different sizing options
- 21-speed Shimano rear derailleur
- No disc brakes
- Slightly uncomfortable stock seat
- Mongoose Supersized beach cruiser 4 1/4" knobby tires
Unlike its counterpart in the same price range, this mountain bike from Mongoose Malus is ideal for even pro cyclists, making it one of the most attractive options in the market today.
Have a look at some of its features below.
- Frame – This mountain bike can be used regardless of any terrain thanks to the cruiser design frame.
- Gears – This bike features a total of 7-speed gearing options with a Shimano rear derailleur, which proves highly practical.
- Braking system – Thanks to its rear and front disc brakes, you can easily stop the bike even on wet and dusty road surfaces.
- Wheels and tires – Riders can balance with ease thanks to the bike’s 26 in. x 4 in. fat knobby tire and large rims, allowing the bike to be ridden on all terrains.
- Pedals – The bike features 3-piece cranks and beach cruiser pedals, which are incredibly soft and user-friendly.
- Ease of balance on any terrain, especially on snowy and sandy ones
- Comfy saddle to prevent fatigue
- Ability to withstand up to 300 pounds
- Amazing pedals
- Relatively heavy
- Insufficient rack mount
- No bottle holder
- The Schwinn bonafied mountain bike features an aluminum mountain frame and a powerful Schwinn suspension fork that soaks up bumps and thumps to provide you with a fun, durable riding experience
This Schwinn Bonafide Mountain Bike is highly recommended for those who love riding on trails thanks to its durable yet lightweight aluminum frame. The color-matching rims and end plug also give the bike an attractive design. Upon shipping, it is ready for assembly, and the bike’s 5-year warranty is among its best selling points.
Here is a brief introduction to its features:
- Frame – In addition to its powerful Schwinn suspension fork, this bike features an aluminum mountain frame that can bring about an enjoyable ride for its owner.
- Gears – Up to 21 available speeds that can be adjusted smoothly with its SRAM twist shifters and rear Shimano derailleurs.
- Brakes – The bike can be stopped at any time and on any trail surface thanks to the front and rear mechanical disc brakes it features.
- Wheels and tires – With its 2.25-inch ultra-wide knobby tires and 29-inch wheels, you can travel on even the bumpiest trails. In addition, it is also lightweight yet sturdy thanks to the high-profile double-wall alloy rims it features.
- Fork – Any bumps and thumps you may encounter during your ride will be absorbed by the bike’s Schwinn suspension fork, giving you the most comfortable experience.
- Capable of giving you a smooth ride on any terrain
- Allowing easy gear modifications
- Available with a 5-year warranty
- Slight cassette wobbles
This amazing fat tire mountain bike features super large tires that can be used on practically any road surface, from hard asphalt to snow, rock and sand. Thanks to this and many other of its great features, this bike is among our top picks on this list.
Some details on this bike can be found here:
- Frame – Steel frame that can withstand any impact and allow you to easily conquer any off-road trail.
- Gears – 7 different speeds that can be shifted smoothly thanks to the Shimano rear derailleur and twist Shifters.
- Brakes – Front and rear disc brakes for superb stopping power regardless of road surfaces.
- Wheel and tires – Super large 26 in. x 4 in. all-terrain knobby tires with strong yet lightweight alloy rims.
- Pedals – Beach cruiser pedals for maximum comfort.
- Super large knobby tires that can ride through any terrain.
- Adjustable threadless headset, making it suitable for riders of different heights.
- Comfortable beach cruiser pedals and disc brakes for extra safety
- Assembly-ready upon delivery
- No real cons
- A lightweight 6061 heat treated aluminum frame provides an excellent foundation
Another affordably priced option is the Kent Mountain Bike that is both lightweight and durable thanks to its aluminum frame. Like any other of our recommendations, this bike also comes with knobby tires that can be used on any terrain, and its stylish design is among its most attractive selling points.
A more detailed look into its special features
- Frame – Up-to-date 6061 heat-treated aluminum frame, making it both lightweight and durable.
- Gears – 21-speed options that can be smoothly shifted between using its Shimano RS25 Shifters and TZ31 derailleurs.
- Brakes – Guaranteed safety thanks to its rim brake.
- Wheels and tires – 29 inches wide wheels and 29 x 2.1 in. knobby tires for smooth riding on any terrain.
- Crankset – Highly durable 170mm crankset with 28, 38, 48 steel tooth rings.
- Easy assembly
- Stylish design and eye-catching color
- Great grip on any surface
- A wide range of speeding options
- No disc brakes
- Some plastic parts that are prone to breaking after long periods of use
- Shimano 6-speed drivetrain with trigger shifter makes shifting simple, giving little ones a boost on climbs
Judging from the fact that Diamondback is among the best brands globally, this affordable mountain bike is definitely worth considering. It is specially designed for young children, and it comes with a great many features that cater to unseasoned yet adventurous young riders.
Here are some of the special features that you should not overlook
- Brakes – Adjustable leaver to keep your child safe and provide them with complete control of the vehicle.
- Gear shifting – User-friendly built-in Shimano drivetrain with 6 speeding options and a trigger shifter for easy climbing and uphill riding.
- Fork – 40mm HI Zoom suspension fork to help soak up any rocks and roots. This feature is actually quite common even for bigger kids’ bikes.
- Frame – Durable DB Hi-10 steel frame for maximum comfort.
- Easy and simple control
- Highly safe and effective shock absorption
- Excellent customer service
- No kickstand
- Slightly heavy
- Costly repairs
- 【GOOD QUALITY】Solid Frame, the combination of high carbon steel material folding mountain bike frame and excellent welding technology, make it a durable and stable cruising bike.
This model from Max4Out is ideal for both mountain bikers and commuters judging from its comparatively small frame, medium tire sizes, and a gearbox with 21 speeding options.
The bike comes with many great features. To begin with, its amazing brake gives you full control of the vehicle’s movement regardless of what speed you are riding at, and its solid aluminum frame is durable enough to withstand any impact during use.
Although some may complain that the bike’s suspension may not excel in terms of shock absorption compared to its counterparts in this list, rest assured that it is still pretty solid and can deliver a good performance throughout your ride. In addition, it can support a maximum weight of up to 330 pounds. The only drawback is that you will have to assemble the bike on your own upon delivery.
- Versatile enough for both mountain biking and daily commuting
- Durable yet the lightweight aluminum weight
- All-terrain wheels and tires
- Easy gear switching
- Not readily assembled
- NO WORRIES ABOUT THE VALVES: Hiland had corrected the valve to American standard - Schrader valve(A.V)
This is another ideal choice for inexperienced bikers who want to start picking up mountain biking.
The first great thing about this bike is that you can easily pedal it thanks to the Shimano drivetrain, which is perfect for beginners. It also comes with many different colors and wheel sizes, so you can pick one that suits your personal preference. In addition, early buyers get a complimentary kickstand for easy and convenient storage.
Although some models have problems with the valves,, they can be easily fixed and therefore this bike remains a worthwhile option.
- Easy pedaling thanks its drivetrain
- Complimentary kickstand for easy storage
- Various color and wheel size options
- Work needed for the valves
- Folding bike with High Carbon Steel mountain bike dual suspension frame,Shimano 21 speed gears.
This mountain bike comes with many amazing features. To begin with, it has a highly durable steel frame that can endure any impact. Although this might be a bit heavier for many, the level of durability it offers can totally compensate for this.
In addition, the bike also comes with fashionable rims that are 26 inches wide. The rims are designed with 6 spokes, which can effectively boost the bike’s overall speed and safety. Besides, the bike is highly versatile thanks to the 21-speed gears that allow a smooth experience on any road terrains, and the customizable saddle height also offers greater comfort for its rider.
- Comfortable seats
- Excellent shock absorption thanks to its front and rear suspension
- High versatility
- Heavy weight
- Problematic brake assembly
- Fixed front suspension
The cycles are again becoming the new cool of this era even in these technology-filled cars for super-speed lovers. Cycling has made a man think its importance as it is both environment-friendly and promises good and fit health.
For the adventure lovers, we are familiar with a name, mountain bikes which are capable of different terrain and are possessed with the super new feature. Mountain bikes as the name speaks for itself are an off-road vehicle for adventure-friendly people. These bikes we can say are not cheap equal to the normal ones because of its built and other features absent in the normal bikes. Hopefully, you can make decision to get the best mountain bike now!
Last update on 2020-08-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API