The cycles are again becoming the new cool of this era even in these technology-filled cars for super speed lovers. Cycling has made a man think its importance as it is both environment-friendly and promises a good and a fit health.
For the adventure lovers, we are familiar with a name, mountain bikes which are capable of different terrain and are possessed with the super new feature.
Mountain bikes as the name speaks for itself are an off-road vehicle for the adventure-friendly people. This bikes we can say are not cheap equal to the normal ones because of its built and other feature absent in the normal bikes.
There is a myth amongst the people for these bikes that it will be expensive and not easy to afford. But the market is loaded with the bikes priced from affordable ones to the expensive ones.
The first and the foremost thing is that the bike should fulfill the requirements and the price. And there is a popularity among the people about the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars.
Some bikes are only made for a specific terrain and before buying the user should keep in mind his requirements of the terrain he wants to ride the bike in. Other feature also plays a significant role in the selection of the mountain bike. The features are listed below-
Must Read Points Before Purchasing a Mountain Bike
- Budget– As here we are discussing the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars, so budget itself plays an important part in selecting the bike. The buyer should not think that in a specific range budget the quality will be compromised. It’s just that one has to look carefully and explore all the options in the market available and choose the best one. Some famous brands do put up a sale and buyers should look out for that sales and grab the deal.
- Terrain– These bikes offer you specific terrain options to ride on whether it is off road or paved roads, bikes wheels, and frames are designed according to the terrain they are made to ride on. These are the different bikes –
a)Trail bikes– specifically designed for local trails. And if a local trail is your need of the hour then just go for trail bikes.
b)Cross-country bikes– known by the name of XC bikes, these are the most common and loved by the riders of this field. Select them if you need to have a race on the local trails or crossing the steep or rough local trails.
c)Fat bikes– as the name speaks these are the bikes with fat or wide tires. Perfect for beginners as it will be helpful on rough terrain due to its wide tires and for beginners, safety has always been an issue.
d)Enduro bikes– these are all mountain purpose bike. Its lightweight makes it stand out from the other bikes as it easy to pedal uphill and easier to cross steep climbs.
e)Downhill bikes– These bikes mostly serve the purpose of competition and racing as with these easy to pedal over any obstacle. They require full safety during the rides i.e. full pads and full face helmets. They are not meant for beginners in any way.
- Brakes– when speed plays its role side by side it is very important that the brakes should work best with the speed. One should always look for hydraulic brakes, not for the mechanical linear pull or the cable ones. Hydraulic brakes provide a powerful and precise result in a time less than the cable ones and are easy to maintain also.
- Types of bike suspension– covered by three types – full suspension, hardtail and rigid.
Full suspensions are the ones with front and rear suspension both offering the extra comfort during the adventurous ride.
Hardtail bikes have only the front suspension resulting in light weight riders and rider can easily peddle uphill rather than in full suspension bikes. But it reduces the comfort one is getting on full suspension bikes.
A rigid suspension is with no suspension on either side, front or back. They are rarely found and are specifically designed for the particular purpose.
- Gears– with an option to choose from single to 30 gears from different manufacturers. Shimano is the world leader in designing the gears and brake levers. If speed and climbing the steep slopes is the main motive opting for more gears is always the best. The more gears more easily the user will be able to ride on the steep surface with better speed.
- Size– various sizes are available in the market for the various heights. People can choose from many options according to their comfort, height and body sizes. Test ride before a buy is the best option to choose the right bike for yourself.
Research before a purchase can never go wrong. Read reviews, take test rides etc. are a various option in research.
If you think that budget and quality can’t move hand in hand then you should remember exceptions are always there.
Listed below are best mountain bikes which satisfy both affordability and quality.
The Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars:
Schwinn, a leader in the manufacturing of mountain bikes known for its best quality that too without creating a hole in the pocket.
Schwinn Protocol, an entry level mountain bike suitable for beginners and mid-level riders as well. Built with dual suspension aluminum frame and steel frame at back is what makes it stand out at this price.
The lightweight of aluminium and toughness of steel makes it a power-packed bike. A brief introduction to its features are as follows:-
- Frame– A dual suspension frame with aluminium at front and steel at the rear gives you the dual benefits. Making it damage resistant and lightweight both.
- Wheel size– this one comes with 26’’ wheels which can be defined as a standard for all. It is easy for all to adjust at this size and also it can be made or used as a daily riding option. Rims are double walled light weighted alloys suited to ride in every terrain.
- Brakes– equipped with front mechanical disc brakes and rear brakes are linear pull. This makes it easy to go brakes in any terrain or weather condition.
- Fork– This bike comes with SR Suntour front suspension brakes which specialize in absorbing in any type of shock. Off roading and rough terrain become a super relaxing ride with these forks.
- Gears– Fitted with Shimano Altus 24-speed gear system with Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters. These shifters allow a smooth transition between the gears. The rear is fitted with Shimano Altus providing it extra power while riding.These were the features now let’s have a look at what should be the decision making pros and cons while buying this MTB under 500 dollar.
|1. Easy to assemble the bike. Almost assembled just front wheel is to be fitted and that can be done by anyone.||1. Saddle or seat is not suitable for long comfortable rides.|
|2. It’s durable and sturdy red color design makes it look like an expensive option not at the price it is available.||2. 26’’ wheel size makes it difficult to overcome the obstacles.|
|3. 24 gear speed system makes it good to go option for beginners||3. Whereas the 24 gear speed system is a good to go for the novice but not suitable for riders who need high speed and adventure.|
|4. Brakes are super fine in extreme or immediate conditions.||4. No option or place to keep water bottle.|
|5. Super suspension forks co to plete the ride comfortably and smoothly too.||5. Front brakes don’t perform that way which was expected by all from this bike.|
Diamondback is not a new name in the field of mountain bikes and all their models are worth a ride. We will discuss the model which defines affordability and design both.
Diamondback overdrive sports 29er is a premier hardtail mountain bike suitable for all trail whether steep or any other. Here are it’s amazing features-:
- Frame– Built with butted 6061-T6 Aluminum alloy Overdrive 29r frame. Making it lighter than steel frame makes it speed fast and easy to handle. This frame makes it easy to drive and handle for beginners.
- Fork– equipped with 100mm Suntour XCR-LO travel fork. Not the best one in the line but perfect for early riders.
- Wheel size– This bike has monster 29-inch tire size which makes any obstacle look small and any terrain easy to cross. The speed and maneuverability are now easy to handle than before.
- Gears– Shimano rear derailleurs 8 speed with 24 gear option filed with Shimano SLR-310 shifters enable to switch gears according to personal use according to the terrain demand. It is also equipped with Diamond SL-7 double wall rims which are a perfect combination with 29-inch tire size.
- Brakes– this mountain bike comes with Shimano BR-M935 hydraulic brakes which perform extremely well in rainy and muddy condition, the time when most brakes fail to perform. These are effective and durable brakes making the bike stop in any terrain between the ride.
|1. Assembling of the bike is super easy, comes in convenient box mostly assembled just one or two parts to be installed.||1. the saddle or the seat is a bit uncomfortable for the long ride purpose.|
|2. Perfect for beginners as no complicated features comes with it and easy handling.||2. Rear derailleur needs to be adjusted just before starting the ride.|
|3. Different size options are a plus because different heights can choose its option from these sizes.||3. Limited or just one color options|
|4. Big size of wheels can overcome any obstacle.|
Buying an entry level bike is the toughest option and what to look always remain questionable. Mongoose ledge 2.1 seems to answer that very aptly. A perfect combo of price, comfort, and durability.
A bike to ride on tough as well as plain terrain without decreasing its performance a bit. Sturdiness is what defines the Mongoose ledge 2.1.
A look at its features-
- Frame– it has a 4-bar linked suspension frame made from aluminium alloy for light weight ride. Its alloy rims are sturdy and rustproof and the handle bars are made from steel which can withstand a few bangs.
- Gears– The 21-speed gear system allows a versatile speed option to the riders. Though the gears are less they don’t pose a challenge in any terrain while riding i.e. steep or plain. Comes with SRAM twist shifters, one of the best in this class.
- Braking system– It has linear pull brakes which let the user gain full control over the bike. Emergency braking is not a problem in the bike and tire treads are soo designed that it supports its braking system.
- Wheel size– wheels are 26’’ fabricated alloy rims ensure great ride and lightweight. Fabricated alloys mean they are rust proof so can be a great ride in rains also.
Overall at the price, it is available we can say that not the best but can be a great option for the beginners.
|1. Versatility at this affordable price is its biggest pro.||1. The seats are comfortable but the material is not long lasting and will weather out fast.|
|2. Assembling is easy and needs no supervision or perfection.||2. The frame is not that big so can be a problem for people over 6’.|
|3. It has 3 color options i.e. gray, red and blue.||3. No place on the frame for a water bottle.|
|4. Like many other options which do not include a kickstand, it comes with one.||4. The limited 21 gear Optio kickstand, great choice for speed lover and the ones who are a pro at mountain bikes.|
|5. The aluminium alloy frame is stylish and durable.|
The roadster granite peak is a 26-inch ride which not only specialized in mountain terrain but is perfect for urban areas means can be used as a daily ride too. It’s high front suspension forks make it a comfortable ride for rough and rugged roads.
Gear shifting in this model is a stand out feature from other bikes.
A detailed review of its other features-
- Frame– the material used in making the frame is steel. The steel frame is known to be sturdy and making the bike durable. Although the steel is a little bit on the heavier side from aluminium but riding this bike does not make the rider feel so.
- Gears– a bit on the lesser side this bike is featured with 18 gear speed system with Shimano shifters. The shifters are real smooth and give a comfortable ride during an off road ride also.
- Braking system– it has a linear pull braking system which is crafted amazingly for the immediate braking system and tire treads are perfectly designed to accompany these bikes.
- Wheel size– the 26-inch wheels are a standard for most bikes. Rims are alloy made and are durable and strong. The alloy rims give a strong and durable feel and light weight provides a great maneuverability. The handlebars are made of steel. The seat is padded and made for rough terrain.
- Fork– The front fork suspension enables a comfortable ride in rough terrain. It is capable of absorbing the shock one can experience during the ride.
|1. its affordability nowhere compromises with its high quality and style by which the bike is being made of.||1. The seat is well padded but not very comfortable with long rides.|
|2. Has got a great front suspension offering a great and comfortable ride.||2. 18 gears are a low for riders who likes to ride at high speeds.|
|3. Dual usability i.e. suitable for off road as well as paved roads.||3. The steel frames are easy with scratches.|
|4. Assembling is an easy task with this bike.||4. Brakes are not that great and needed to be adjusted regularly.|
Best for off road, climbing steep hills and getting down from them the answer is Genesis V2100.Genesis v2100 is equipped with alloy aluminium frame, dual wall rims, front suspension and front disc brake and rear V brake.
Below are its some of the amazing features-
- Frame– it has full suspension aluminium frame which is better than other bikes in quality. It is built with alloy four bar suspension frame. This suspension frame promises you comfort and great durability. And its light weight makes a great experience of riding for the driver.
- Braking system– the two braking system in the genesis v2100 are front disc brake and rear v brake designed by Shimano. High-class aluminium is used in brake levers with integrated Promax components being used for front disc brake. This enhances the maximum control of user on the bike.
- Gear and speed– it is equipped with 21-gear speed system designed by the same which designed it brakes i.e. Shimano. The not so fast speed system provides you with a relaxing ride throughout. The front and rear derailleur allow easy riding and smooth gear shifting.
- Wheels– as a standard for most this model is also fitted with 26-inch tires. The wide and long lasting quality prove to be an unrivaled traction in the off roads where the tires play a great role in balancing.
- Fork– it too comes with a full suspension system. The suspension is fully designed keeping in mind the customer comfort at first place. The rear shockers are included as well making off roads just like as driving on paved roads.
|1. The safety factor is given the utmost importance.||1. Tire size sometimes makes difficult to overcome an obstacle.|
|2. People with different heights are comfortable riding this bike.||2. Its warranty covers only the parts.|
|3. It has a sturdy and durable alloy frame and suspension.||3. Assembly is not that easy and smooth. One needs the experience to assemble the genesis.|
|4. Affordable with this great features for the entry level riders.||4. Pedals are tried to be made user-friendly but are flimsy and plastic and they should be replaced with some alternative like aluminium.|
|5. Fewer gears are a low for high-speed lovers.|
Suggestions are not to use this bike in professional riding otherwise in a span of few months it will be of no use or will need a lot of repair work.
An another option from the king of affordable yet great feature bikes, the diamondback response XE. It has its own plus with its customization and light-weightedness. Built with aluminium frame, solid suspension fork, 21 gear speed option and mechanical disc brake.
A brief description of its features-
- Frame– Constructed with 6061-T6 aluminium, with formed top and down tubes added as well. It promises a long lasting service despite riding over rough tracks for years. The aluminium frame makes it light weight, in addition, making it easy to handle also.
- Gears– 21 gear speed system helps in speeding without putting much effort and force. The front derailleur is Shimano and the Rear derailleur is Shimano Altus 7speed.
- Braking system– it has mechanical disc brakes made by Tektro Novela allows riding in muddy or rain terrain. These brake levers are integrated Shimano designed.
- Fork– designed with Suntour XCT fork with 100mm travel. This fork absorbs the bumps and shocks giving a comfy ride.
- Wheels– introduced with 26-inch 700c road wheels and these wheels are efficient and smooth. These components provide excellent strength and resistance which in turn guarantees stability especially on a steep incline or rough terrain.
- Size and color options– various color options in the menu to choose from and different sizes never possessed a problem for short and tall people.
|1.Suntour XCT fork promises a smooth ride in any type of terrain.||1. Replacement or changing of parts can be a little bit expensive.|
|2. Assembling is easy and can be done by a novice.||2. Pedals are plastic made and not good for large feet.|
|3. It is customizable and height can be adjusted from an option of color to choose from.|
A lot of mountain bikes are available in the market at different price segment. Some of the best mountain bikes under 500 are available to match a beginner’s expectations.
Rating Table Best Mountain Bikes Under 500
Best Mountain Bikes under 500 Dollars
In fact, a lot of mountain bikes for sale are up at various sites. Go ahead and enjoy this amazing sport without breaking your bank.