Someone said – Life is a book and if you haven’t traveled you have read only one page. Travelling has been an important part of our life and will remain so. Some like leisure traveling while some are adventure travelers.
Doesn’t matter what type you belong to, traveling will make you a better human being. We are discussing the hiking boots for the women in this buyers guide. Hiking is a part of adventure traveling.
It requires proper equipment and necessary knowledge beforehand. One of that equipment is the hiking boots or shoes.
We can’t just wear any shoes and go for hiking, It depends on the type of hiking, the terrain, the weather conditions and much more. As always selecting a pair of best boots is a must.
Every other being has different choice and comfort and different choices make it must to know the in and out of hiking boots. Different factors help in making the correct choice for hiking.
Factors that help in choosing the best hiking boots for women:>
- Weight:- There is a huge variety of shoes in the market with varying weight. It totally depends on your terrain choice. Lightweight or Heavyweight it’s up to the user comfort and terrain. Lightweight hiking shoes, as by name suggest are flexible and light, but prove to be useful for a day or an overnight hike only whereas heavyweight boots are tough, stiff but can be relied upon. These are good for rocky hard terrain and these will be your backpack partner for many coming years.
- Stability:- Technically stability is dependent on the shank ( a piece of plastic between outsole and midsole). Its length varies from just under the ankle or arch or in the full boot length.
- Waterproof:- Now almost all hiking boots are made waterproof giving them an edge and extra feature to choose to. GTX or Gore-Tex is famous amongst all or some brands even have in-house waterproof technique or coating.
- Breathable:- To make the journey comfortable and less tiring, it’s important that the shoe possesses breathability. We have heard from many that waterproofing doesn’t affect breathability but the truth is somewhere it does affect. So check while buying that both waterproof and breathability gelling well with each other.
- Lacing style:- users often tend to ignore the laces but it does affect the comfort and fit. Poor lacing causes a tiring and a painful journey altogether.
- Upper material:- the fabric that connects the rubber outsole, which directly relates with the shoe durability, toughness, and waterproofing. There are various types of materials used such as- Synthetic Nylon and Mesh, Nubuck and suede leather, Full grain leather and others also.
- Midsole:- During hiking we can’t ignore the midsole structure or the material used for making it. A good midsole proves to a better shock absorber from sudden impacts and a double layer of protection from rocky trail. Its thickness depends on the use and the design. Made from EVA foam or PU or from a mixture of both, the midsole plays a significant role in deciding your boots.
EVA foam is comparatively light in weight and used in the construction of thin and light weighted shoes. There can vary from super soft to mild stiff ones too. These EVA foam are generally expensive.
PU or polyurethane will be used when the maker wants the shoe to protect you from rough impacts. Not as soft or cushioned as EVA foam but are best for long-term use and during carrying heavier loads they support better.
- Insoles:- Choosing a proper fit insole can be a real pain in the head. After trying many options if you are getting the problem in the insole, it better to opt for a separate insole from the market that would be custom fit. The good insole can adjust the volume inside the shoe according to your feet, can decrease the impact shocks, improve the fit under the arch.
- Toe protection:- Brands nowadays consider it an important part in designing the shoe. Using heavy rubber material for any chance you hit the rock or hard surface. Some brands are trying different materials also just to cut weight. People opting for lightweight shoes should keep in mind that this is the area they will have to sacrifice.
List of 7 best hiking boots for women
Now keeping in mind all the above factors, there is a list of 7 best hiking shoes for women with their apt comparison which will help you to choose the best and start your journey as soon as possible.
- KEEN.DRY waterproof, breathable membrane
An American clothing, shoes, and bag manufacturer brand, KEEN has been a constant provider in the area of hiking boots. They have produced some of the best hiking boots for women.
Its Targhee mid boots model has especially been designed for day hiking and light backpacking. Not the best option but with the price tag it has it’s definitely the best without any doubt.
Made up of waterproof nubuck leather and flexible nylon mesh with surely will prove to the feet dry and breathable too. If planning a serious weight or rough hiking conditions, this model may not be trusted but if all you plan is day hiking or weekend one, the Targhee II Mid boots are obviously the best option.
Established in 1981, an American footwear brand is known as the maker of high-performance best hiking boots for women. Perfect for lightweight use and day or two hikes.
A classic looking boot with lace up in front and the eyelets used are certainly of premium built. Pricing has been done to make it easy to afford.
It comes with a waterproof membrane at this affordable price and another version slightly expensive comes with the gore-tex membrane. It has the comparatively higher arch, better cushioning and waterproof design with the others in this price range.
Another from the league of lightweight hiking shoes, Ahnu has made these boots as perfect as a beginner can imagine, that too at an affordable price. There is not a single area in which user will have to compromise.
ability is the one which can cause a problem as waterproofing always affects it. They are extremely comfortable, from its competitors.
If you pick these boots you will feel that lightweight may cause a decrease in its sturdiness but it is designed so good. Lightweight and sturdy go hand in hand without compromising with each other.
They tend to take a grip on the terrain due to its treads which play an important role in impacts and hiking. In-house waterproofing will only add an extra edge to it. When we are talking about women shoes we can’t ignore the fact that they need to be good looking too. Ahnu very well fulfills that option also.
- Vasque's most breathable hiking boot with abrasion-resistant air mesh panels
Vasque is the brand which is manufactured under red wing shoes in Minnesota in America. Redwing shoes make shoes in other brands too, Vasque is just one of them.
This brand has been a major shoe provider in WW1 and WW2. A midweight version by Vasque with every feature one needs in a boot or necessary in hiking boots.
The Proper waterproof technique, good insoles and outsoles, better cushioning and a nice lacing system.
It’s over the ankle height provides an extra support for the hiker. Good for day hikers or overnight hiking, these are the ones women would like. A combo of looks and comfort, breeze 2.0 is a must go for.
- The product listed does not come with an insole,Stitchdown Construction - Handcrafted to provide a wider platform, our legendary stitchdown construction offers increased stability underfoot and many of our stitchdown boots can be recrafted.
Danner, a popular name in the field of sportswear or hiking boots has come up with another new model, named as Mountain light cascade boots. If we ever discuss which is the best hiking shoes for women of all time, this is the one no person will forget to name.
What is the best thing when then this that these boots are directly built on the classic Danner mountain light silhouette?
Another thing that makes it so great is its one-piece design and its classic hiking boot looks heavy but coming from a brand like Danner makes it possible to it in the midweight category.
Trails you name it and with these boots can conquer it. Not good for the light hikers or the day hiking. It is a combination of best soles, waterproofing technology, and breathability.
One great thing making it different from others is that it can be easily resolved.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot features our lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as an advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
Columbia Sportswear, a brand established in the year 1938 is making products for the nature enthusiasts. They make products for the daring with adding comfort to its every piece.
about the hiking boots you generally get only a single color option but with these, you get the double:- brown and grey. It covers all the basic feature at an affordable price.
While buying other brand shoes, the toe box is uncomfortable is most common complaint amongst all and a different insole needs to be purchased.
But Columbia eliminated this issue and made the toe box comfortable and made the sizing of the shoe true and also fits well, excluding the need for buying bulky socks for support. It sole sometimes complaint to get slippery while wet.
Undoubtedly, this is one of the best women hiking boots.
- Leather hiking boot with corded lace-up vamp and speed-lacing grommets at top
Lowa has been the respected and established brand. They are making boots from past many years. The boots which are very much talked about, the most popular ones we can say are Lowa renegade gtx.
Perfect for overnight or day hiking. Light in weight, waterproof, durable, good insoles and outsoles. These boots proved to be Lowa’s best seller also. Women will never feel bored with its color options.
It has in total 12 color options and women can go gaga over it. With the superb built quality, we cant wish for more at this price option. It has a minimal break-in time as well as suitable for day to day wear.
The perfect boots for light backpacking and day hiking. Its outsole has the tendency of making a strong grip and never let you feel slippery in any of the terrains.
These lightweight hiking shoes are worth the purchase.
Below mentioned is the comparison table that will help you make a better purchase:
Comparison Table of Best Hiking Shoes
|Boots||Category||Water proof||Upper material||Weight|
|Keen targhee||Lightweight||Yes(keen’s)||Leather/mesh||1 lbs 12 oz.|
|Merell’s moab mid||Midweight||Yes||Leather/mesh||14.5 oz.|
|Ahnu sugarpine||Lightweight||Yes(Ahnu’s)||Leather/synthetic textile||1 lbs7.4 oz.|
|Vasque breeze 2.0||Midweight||Yes(gore-tex)||Nubuck / nylon mesh||2 lbs 6 oz.|
|Danner mountain light cascade||Midweight||Yes(gore-tex)||Nubuck/nylon mesh||3lbs|
|Columbia newton ridge plus||Lightweight||Yes(omni shield)||Leather/mesh||16.2 oz.|
|Lowa renegade mid||Midweight||Yes(gore-tex)||Nubuck leather||2 lbs 2oz.|
Ratings Table Best Hiking Boots for Women
Best Hiking Boots for Women of 2017
KEEN Targhee II Mid Women Hiking Boots
Merrell Women's Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots
AHNU Women's Sugarpine Women Hiking Boots
Vasque Breeze 2.0 Mid GTX Women Hiking Boots
Danner Mountain Light Cascade Women’s Hiking Boots
Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boots
Lowa Women’s Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boot
We have covered and reviewed top hiking shoes for women. Make a purchase based on your comfort level and budget.
Last update on 2020-03-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API